March 15, 2010

Go Ahead and Surprise Me


The most generous and - did I mention, handsome? - Richard Chandler

Where's my mysterious benefactor?

Lately, there's seems to be a run of anonymous donations running rampant through the world. Earlier this month, Baylor University received a $200 million donation from a "secret source" who wanted the money to be ticketed for research into medical research, particular towards issues associated with aging. And in San Francisco, the Exploratorium science museum received two donations totaling $90 million to help give it a new home on the waterfront.

But it's not just large ticket donations that get the publicity. When vandals recently defaced a statue of Andy Griffith in Mount Airy, North Carolina, anonymous donors came out in force and now there's a $1000 reward for catching the culprit, who may or may not bear a striking resemblance to Mr. Furley.

He's no Richard Chandler.

Well, not to sound all Daffy Duck, but "Bartender! Bartender! Where's mine?" Why can't I get a stunning surprise donation full of zeroes (using the Donate button at left, perhaps) from a random billionaire who happens to like the cut of my jib and gets a kick out of my bloggitude? In fact, I have the perfect philanthropist in mind.

New Zealand native Richard Chandler, son of a beekeeper, who has become one of the richest men in the world, according to Forbes magazine. Reportedly, he once lent his mother $4 million dollars to open a gallery in New York City for her paintings. So, he likes creative people. I'd like $1 million to publish my book, as well as start my own publishing company to help other undiscovered authors get their first big break.

I know somebody from New Zealand has been reading my blog lately, and with a population of only 4 million people, there's a slight chance you might be the one who has been checking in. Just in case you are, I'd be happy and humbled to accept your gift.

So what do you say, Mr. Chandler? It can be our little secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment