October 2, 2009

Spread the Word

New words enter the English language all the time… after all, I doubt too many colonists were heard to utter the phrase, “Mayest I befriend thee on Facebook, Goodye Hester?”


So, there’s always an open-door policy to new terminology, should you simply be able to get a new word to catch on… but in order for that to happen, you have to get as many people to use the word as possible, and quite frankly, I doubt this blog is big enough to do the trick.


But that isn’t going to stop me from trying… if I can’t get Detroit Lions’ running back Kevin Smith to take on the nickname “Cutback Suarez” perhaps I can birth a new word into the language…


Yesterday, my son told me he wanted me to stay with him in his room because he was scared to be alone upstairs. I tried to find out why this new fear had suddenly emerged – after all, he’s been sleeping on his own for quite some time. Unfortunately, my tongue tripped over itself when asking the question, and I ended up saying, “Why are you up-scared?”


"Eureka," I thought. A new word…


Up-scared (adj.) – suffering from a newfound fear that has emerged out of the blue.


“The sight of Kanye West sitting the front row at the awards ceremony left all five nominees suddenly up-scared as to what might happen if they won.”


Don’t be up-scared yourselves... Get the word out!


And remember, you heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment