February 28, 2011

Comedy Killers

He's got some Adrian Adonis DNA

No, this post isn't about the Oscars, painfully unfunny as much of the scripted schtick was... but rather it's about those people who should not be allowed to use Twitter or Facebook. I call these people the "Comedy Killers" and they need to be stopped.

Recently there was a funny Twitter hashtag producing much laughter: #threewordmovies. At first, most people got the joke and posted things like "Monarch has stutter" and "Iceberg sinks ship" and my personal favorite, "Bella can't act." (Just to make sure you get the joke and we're all on the same page here, those comments refer to, respectively, The King's Speech, Titanic and Twilight.)

Now, not every attempt to add to this list is going to be a winner, and I'm not suggesting that just because you try to be funny and fail that you should not be allowed to try. Heaven knows I've missed the mark from time to time... but people who completely fail to grasp that humor is going on at all? Why? Why do you do it?

I enjoyed reading these Tweets until people started submitting things like The Social Network  and Big Momma's House. In other words, they completely missed the point of the exercise and sucked all the humor out of it by simply listing movies with three word titles. (That sound you hear is me slapping my head.)

I'm sure you've experienced the same phenomenon on Facebook, as well. One of your friends will change their status to something like "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking." You type in a response, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking." 

Another friend types in "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." And as you sit there, just waiting for the next person to respond with "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines" -- a Comedy Killer strikes by worriedly asking, "Why? What's wrong? Did something happen? Drinking isn't the answer. I hope everything is OK."

Please, if you're one of these people... CUT IT OUT!  Yours is not a victimless crime.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to accept your friend request...

1 comment: