August 27, 2009

The Next Jeremy Jordan?

I totally go on record as saying I’m more than a little out of touch with music these days. Now, due to the fact I have a four-year-old son, my television is frequently tuned into the Disney Channel, so my exposure to “new music” pretty much consists of whatever the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and the cast of High School Musical is up to these days. In a nutshell – bleah!


However, I have to admit, during one recent commercial break, they played a video that actually made me stop what I was doing and pay attention. It’s a song by Evan Taubenfeld called “Boy Meets Girl” and while it’s nothing more than typical bubble-gum pop aimed at the tween-girl crowd, I have to admit it “caught my ear.” Take a listen, at least through the first chorus, and see if you don’t agree:




My first thought after hearing the song was that this was probably just another “studio created star” with little talent, who simply strung together random pop-culture references together to make a catchy little earworm. After all, if I had the opportunity, I could probably write similar random lyrics to a hit song in about a minute…


“Milli Vanilli, Scritti Politti

Weekend at Bernie’s, We Built This City


Edie Brickell and Eydie and Steve

Two men enter, one man leave.


Leia and Luke, Han Solo and Chewie

Baba O’Reilly and Baba Booey


Kris Kross and Lip Gloss and Sleestak and Big Mac

and everything else in my brain

It’s all driving me insane.


What I need is you.

La, la-la-la-la. La, la, la.”


Where’s my record deal?


But, on closer examination, I actually discovered that the 26-year-old Taubenfeld is not only talented (he was Avril Lavigne’s lead guitarist) but apparently he’s also a really nice guy. But don’t take my word for it: watch this really cool story on how he helped an 11-year-old girl’s dream come true…







Maybe he won’t end up being anything more than a flash in the pan, but I for one will be rooting for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment